Taking a break from our regularly scheduled program…this has absolutely nothing to do with the usual content of my blog, but I’ve seen a lot of angry ranting by non-Japanese people about how “offensive” the new Avril Lavigne music video is, and I felt the need to set the record straight about something.
And that is what Japanese people think about the video.
(Btw, here’s a Japanese article linking the video, titled “Avril’s New Song That is Overflowing with Love for Japan”: http://videotopics.yahoo.co.jp/videolist/official/music/pcaba1d18e2bdd6a6a5661cdce7e96ec2)
For those of you who think this is absolutely crazy, or haven’t heard about it at all (lucky you), here’s the rundown of this controversy. There are a few basic things that I’ve seen people complaining about for this video.
- The motif of the video is oversimplifying/labeling Japan as nothing but “kawaii” and giving a false representation of what Tokyo is.
- The backup dancers are robotic, expressionless, and uniform. This feeds into stereotypes that Asian women are subservient and have no purpose besides decoration. (read: women in most music videos, regardless of race, are portrayed this way. Sexist, sure. But racist?)
- Avril is being offensive by saying Japanese words with a “vaguely Asian accent” (read: trying to properly pronounce Japanese words, which she makes a fairly good try at, for a non-Japanese speaker).
I’m not going to pay any more lip service to these arguments, because as a person who speaks Japanese, has lived in Japan for years, and is primarily friends with Japanese people, I feel that all of these points are 100% bullshit. Not only that, there’s nothing about this video that hasn’t been done by a whole slew of different JPop chicks. Have any of you ever looked at Kyary Pamyu Pamyu?! (I try to avoid doing so, myself). And let’s not get into the cultural appropriation of Black culture by K-Pop or the cultural appropriation of European culture by the lolita fashion style in Japan. Or what about any old Japanese VK PV that utilizes overly sexualized white models who serve no purpose other than being pretty? Avril’s “offense” seems pretty minor considering that we tend to accept all these other things as if they’re no problem.
Is cultural appropriation of Japanese concepts really offensive to all Asians, even those not of Japanese descent, or who have never lived in Japan? And if not, what do real Japanese people think about this music video?
I decided to take to Twitter and find out.
You art style is fucking creepy and vile as shit. Especially the blood-red lips it's grotesque and disgusting. Die
yess creepy and vile stuff rules! and oops, if my art scares u an0n be careful! u should like block my blog or something, i don’t want u to get a heart attack next time ur on here
YO anon is rude as hell. Cel has great art. :(
I love her art too but why the fuck would you tell someone to drop dead because you don’t like how they draw, wow.
- Abusers can do nice things for people they are not abusing.
- Abusers can do nice things for people that they are abusing.
- Abusers can otherwise seem like nice, caring, supportive people when they are not actively abusing someone.
- It does not mean they’re not fucking abusers.
I see so many of these things going around for Pokemon and other games, and I was thinking, does Animal Crossing have one? And if not, WHY not?
So here you go guys! I think I MIGHT be doing this :D
- Day 1 - Draw one of your dreamies
- Day 2 - Draw your mayor
- Day 3 - Draw a side character
- Day 4 - Draw your favourite Peppy villager
- Day 5 - Draw your favourite Smug villager
- Day 6 - Draw your favourite Jock villager
- Day 7 - Draw your favourite Snooty Villager
- Day 8 - Draw your favourite Uchi villager
- Day 9 - Draw your favourite Cranky villager
- Day 10 - Draw your favourite Normal villager
- Day 11 - Draw an NPC
- Day 12 - Draw an Event Character [Pave, Jingle, etc]
- Day 13 - Draw Isabelle
- Day 14 - Draw your mayor in the style of Wild World’s human characters
- Day 15 - Draw a made-up villager!
- Day 16 - Draw a new species of villager
- Day 17 - Draw a villager who was taken out of New Leaf
- Day 18 - Draw a location in your town
- Day 19 - Draw your town fruit
- Day 20 - Draw a villager you dislike
- Day 21 - Draw a gijinka [human version] of your favourite villager
- Day 22 - Draw an NPC from previous [Wild World, City Folk, etc] games
- Day 23 - Draw yourself as a villager
- Day 24 - Draw your least favourite NPC
- Day 25 - Draw your favourite villager species
- Day 26 - Draw your LEAST favourite villager species
- Day 27 - Group drawing! Draw all your CURRENT villagers
- Day 28 - Draw any bug from Animal Crossing
- Day 29 - Draw your favourite furniture item from in-game
- Day 30 - Draw your town tree in its current state.